Brexit Advice

Brexit Advice

As the UK officially left the EU on 1st January 2021, we've highlighted a few factors that will help you understand how the break up of the union with affect travel to Europe.

Simply put, you can still travel to all our destinations with peace of mind, but it's best to understand what you need to do before you travel, so you can fully enjoy your well-deserved holiday.

As well as being ABTA protected, we are committed to making sure you have a fantastic holiday, so you can have peace of mind that we will always be on hand to answer your questions. Here's some advice you should know before you travel.


Check the expiry date of your passport. If you are travelling to the EU after January 1st, the UK government recommends you have a minimum of 6 months left on your passport on the date of your arrival to an EU country. Don’t leave renewing your passport until the last minute. Renew it online or by visiting your local Post Office.

More information can be found on GOV.UK regarding new passport rules post-Brexit.

If you’re unsure how Brexit affects your passport, you can also find a handy guide here.


As a tourist, you do not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, and you’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.


Although the existing pet passport scheme ended when the UK left the EU on 1st January 2021, you can still travel with your pets but will need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) to do so.

For further information regarding taking your pets on holiday, please refer to GOV.UK.


If you plan on driving your car to Europe, you will need to:

  • Request a Green Card (at least six weeks in advance) from your car insurance provider for proof of insurance.
  • Take your vehicle log book (V5C) with you.
  • Display a GB sticker on your vehicle.

You do not need to apply for an international driving permit to drive in the EU, unless you have a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

For more information about driving in the EU, please visit GOV.UK.


Insurance is something we would always recommend, especially so after the 1st January 2021. Please refer to GOV.UK and their recommendation on Travel Insurance as well as ABTA’s guidance on Travel Insurance.

ABTA advises holidaymakers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance. We’d always recommend you check any insurance covers your current medical conditions and any previous medical history is clearly noted. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you need to make any updates.


If you currently hold an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), it is valid in EU countries up until the card's expiry date.

If you don't currently have an EHIC card or it has expired, you should apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). The cards are issued free of charge and entitle you to necessary medical care in an EU country for the same cost as a resident of that country.

For more information about the GHIC and how to apply, please visit the NHS website.

Please note, if you are travelling to Switzerland, you should arrange travel insurance with healthcare cover included, as neither the EHIC or GHIC are valid here.


Upon arrival in an EU country, you may have to:

  • Provide evidence of your return or onward travel.
  • Show you have enough funds for the duration of your stay.
  • Use separate queuing lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.


When using your mobile phone abroad, you sohuld be aware that free mobile internet is no longer ensured for UK citizens. To learn more about mobile phone usage will travelling, it's advised that you contact your mobile phone operator.


If you plan on packing food or drink for your holiday, it's best to understand the regulations that have now been put in place since the UK left the EU. Further information can be found on the European Commission website.


It's important to keep up-to-date with Brexit and how it impacts you and your holiday. And even more importantly, you should relax and look forward to enjoying your stay with Selectcamp, knowing that we are with you every step of the way.

For all the latest information on how Brexit will impact travel, please check the ABTA and GOV.UK websites.